 From: Peter Schwartz <peter_schwartz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Peter Schwartz <peter_schwartz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2013 12:15 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Diatonic v Chromatic

So here's a dumb question...

I was always under the impression that diatonic harmonicas played in specific keys. So, to change keys, you needed to change harmonicas.

Chromatic harmonicas, I believed, allowed you to play in any key, much as you can on a piano, for example.

But now I see that chromatic harmonicas come in different keys, too. But have also read that the 12-, 14-, and 16-hole models have equal temperament and can play in any key.

But now I'm wondering whether the 12, 14, and 16-hole models are transposing instruments that can play in any key the way a Bb clarinet can play in any key. So that playing a chromatic harmonica A is a bit like playing a Bb clarinet in that sense (C sounds a Bb).

Anyway, obviously I'm confused and wondering if anyone can sort this out for me.

Best,
Peter