From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Rick Davis
Sent: Monday, 2 September 2013 1:52 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: delay for harp

Hi Lare-

I too use the MXR Carbon Copy analog delay.  It sounds great, but all I
demand from it is slap-back effect.  I don't care for the big swoopy space
alien delay sounds.  The MXR does the best slap-back I've heard, with a nice
organic decay on the delay tails.  The only other pedal I use is the Kinder
AFB when playing the Bassman RI amp.

Here is a link to a photo of the pedal and the settings I use.  As you can
see, it is pretty minimal.  Just a little thickener, thank you very much.

http://davisbluesproject.com/pics/MXRpedal.jpg

-Rick Davis
Denver, Colorado

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Lare Sattler <lmsattler@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> First off let me say that I am a lover of the honking, Chicago style
> blues harp. I love any harmonica, but what I love to hear the most and
> what I strive to sound like, is more or less a ruptured goose. I have
> tried a few delays including the Dan Electro DE-1, recommended by Pete
> Sheridan in his great book, Quest For Tone In Amplified Harp, and the
> Dan Electro Reel To Real delay. A friend has a vintage Echoplex which
> I was lucky enough to try and the sound/tone was amazing. Being a hard
> to find vintage instrument, it was basically priceless to him, and
> though I was welcome to use it, I would have been responsible should
> anything happen to it. It has since been my "Holy Grail" echo tone and
> I have tried to replicate it with pedals because I was nervous about
> taking the EPlex to play out. The closest I had found was the DE Reel
> to Real, but it was a cumbersome size and shape pedal to me. I
> recently got an MXR M-169 Carbon Copy and have been blown away by  it.
> I used it the other night at a show and was very pleased with the
> sound coming out of my amp with it on. As with all things, everyone
> has a different idea of what is the greatest sound/tone, and IMHO #1
> is the old Echoplex, but a close second is the MXR. It is smaller than
> most pedals, making it easy to transport and any coloration it give to the
tone is a plus to my ears, and is the closest to what I remember of the
Echoplex.