Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic v Chromatic

On Sep 1, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Peter Schwartz wrote:

> So here's a dumb question...

No such thing.

> I was always under the impression that diatonic harmonicas played in specific keys. So, to change keys, you needed to change harmonicas.

At the beginning yes. Then, as you advance, you can play in different positions and cover 'most' other keys. Some convincingly, some not so.

> Chromatic harmonicas, I believed, allowed you to play in any key, much as you can on a piano, for example.

Within reason. The farther you get away from the home key though, the more 'rowing' you have to do. (rowing...working the slide). And (usually) the more breath switching.

> But now I see that chromatic harmonicas come in different keys, too. But have also read that the 12-, 14-, and 16-hole models have equal temperament and can play in any key.

Again, within reason. And 12 and 16 hole models have the same basic layout. 14 holers are tricky in the bottom 2 holes IF..that's IF, you are used to not starting on G as with a 12 or 16 hole model.

> But now I'm wondering whether the 12, 14, and 16-hole models are transposing instruments that can play in any key the way a Bb clarinet can play in any key.

Sure they are. For example, I use a Bb chromo in the key of D to get concert C pitch. OR I can use a G chromo played in F to get C, OR an F chromo in F to get Bb. All chromos can do this, but I invented a chart so I can keep track of 12 keys TIMES 12 keys..which equals 144 combinations. Then when you add minor keys, the chart is 288 combinations.
But that's not important to you...for now.

Tonight at the supper club I will be playing chromos TUNED to various keys, IN various keys. This will give me terminal keys that are even 'variouser' (in that even a word? ) lolol.

> So that playing a chromatic harmonica A is a bit like playing a Bb clarinet in that sense (C sounds a Bb).

An A tuned chromo sounds concert A when played in the key of C. You need to cancel the sharps and flats against each other to transpose. Just like clarinet (which I also play)

> Anyway, obviously I'm confused and wondering if anyone can sort this out for me.

Only confusing because of the numbers of possibilities. Once you get into it, it all falls into place. My chart may be deep in the archives. If not it is over on slidemeister.com

smokey-joe