Re: [Harp-L] Vertical Dyslexia

Arthur Jennings wrote:

...As far as recommending a trick for other systems, why not score them out
with a Barrett-style tab line beneath the notes? Or just learn it by ear
and skip the tab altogether?

My disdain of harmonica tablature induced me to become a total ear player.

Even though that has its own set of issues, that's helped me to learn how to and be comfortable with improvising. I have guitar buddy who cannot play ~anything~ by ear, let alone improvise anything. Even though he is an excellent fingerstyle player and a joy to play with, he has to score things out and practice ad nauseum before he can play it. I'm the opposite. I can pick up and play most any tune by listening and playing along (any tune that is diatonic in nature -- I'm not an overblower), but my renditions are rarely the same.

I still don't know what approach is best but there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. :^)

Michelle