Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2013 CORRECTING SMOKEY JOE

It popped into my head in the middle of the night.
Acoustic Jazz  Bass Player - Don Mayberry

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Leone <3N037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: The Iceman <icemanle@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Aug 31, 2013 11:51 pm
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2013 CORRECTING SMOKEY JOE

On Aug 31, 2013, at 11:25 PM, The Iceman wrote:

1. My first year as Convention Director was probably the year you moved to FL, so when Bob and I took over, it wasn't Chuck, as you stated below.

2. Sorry you didn't like the hotel, but a lot of magic happened there when you weren't. Besides, who's talking about the hotel, really.

3. Who is expecting the future to be the same as the past? I am only reminiscing about some great times and correcting your mistake about the trio when Bob and I made changes.

Yes, my friend, I have no problem with you're correcting me. As I have said before, you did a bang up job.

And as I remember, and I think you do too, there WERE people at the hotel other than spah people. The hotel used to run 'junkets' and several families would show up on Friday afternoon and stay thru Sunday. These were family reunions, and DID number quite a few. Of course some of them tried to get into the shows. I (a lowly usher) would direct them to how to obtain a ticket. Some of them did. So, I'm not sure how many people actually came in FROM the outside world. But I will trust you on that.

My rub with the hotel? I was walking across the lobby, Herb Eck stuck a beer in my hand, I strolled (mybad) into the bar. The barmaid said: "You can't bring a beer in that wasn't bought HERE, I could have you arrested". I appologized, and on leaving said: "Do what you gotta do...and then pack your bags...cause you're leaving town". They were also thieves, a word I hate...snotty, rude, had loudmouthed chambermaids, and generally tight adzed about us playing late at night down dark deserted hallways. Atmosphere means a lot to me.