Re: [Harp-L] What a difference a mic makes

Tony Eyers wrote:
<Richard - very cool. As always.
<
<Just to fill us in completely, what harmonica were you using?

The harmonica I used for this recording is a Hohner MB Deluxe in the key of A. for a quick demo of blues sounds, an A harp seemed exactly right, and the MB Deluxe has a nice honk to it.

I use a lot of different makes and models of harmonica--I'm always interested in new offerings, and I haven't found the Holy Grail yet (i.e. the single make and model of harp that sounds and plays utterly brilliantly in every key and tuning).  At the moment, harps that I'm enjoying include the MB Deluxe, the Hohner Crossover, Seydel Session Steel, Seydel 1847, Suzuki Manji (fitted with Hammond cover plates, for the equivalent of an Olive) and (on the cheap and cheerful side) Lee Oskar natural minors and melody makers and Hohner Special 20s.

All of these harps have their strengths; I haven't found any make and model yet that satisfies all my needs in every key.  The Seydel Session Steels, as one member of this list warned me, tend to perform better in the lower-pitched keys than in the higher keys. I own two 1847s, of which the one in Eb is an absolutely perfect instrument in every way, and the one in G is a bit balky when I play it hard.  I love the Manjis for tunes that require quick, precise playing.  The Hohners honk.  The Oskars NMs just sound perfect to me--smooth and beautiful, and very responsive to expressive moves.

And so it goes.  I'm very glad to report that as per my previous comments on this list, EVERY make and model of harmonica that I use now is vastly superior to what was available a decade ago, and almost a different kind of animal entirely than the stuff I had to play in the 1970s and 1980s.  Phew.

Thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick