RE: [Harp-L] help with acompanying Piano

Drew,
Consider using a harmonica in TET intonation instead of JI because pianos are in TET intonation. Lee Oskar would be a good medium priced harp in TET.
The song key = G. At the beginning of your loop the first bar is a split bar G/C7 so that first G get 2 of the 4 counts in 4/4. The chords are G, C and D (with some 7th chords). Basic 1, 4, 5 and at the end, instead of the traditional turn to the D or 5 being resolved to the G or 1 chord, it stays in the G or 1. There's a couple of C9 chords in there following the D (I think). I just listened to it twice and played it on guitar then harp.
There are a couple of spots where you are hearing a funky timing or tempo thing. I think those spots are where there is a split bar and it sounds a little funky. You will just need to know when those quick chord changes are going to happen.
I think The Iceman was referring to the 3 hole single bend giving you a b3rd in the G or 1 chord. Definitely do that if you are using a C harp in 2nd position. Play some b7ths where it fits (2 hole double bend on the G or 1 chord / 2nd pos and 5 hole draw). As Ben said, a low F harp in 3rd position is certainly a good option especially on splits. Consider mixing it up; 2nd and 3rd positions.
Also, use "padding" (long notes or 3rd position splits as Iceman said). Select your spots carefully as to not step on the piano too much. Consider laying out on the 1st time around then bring in the harp (see last paragraph). Consider asking the pianist to play less on a verse so you can provide more lead. If the song dynamics build, that may be your time to throw in some soulful licks sort of a call and response thing. Ask him/her if he wants you to come in strong during the intro as well as the outro. If you feel good about what you are doing, ask for a solo or half a solo or an interlude in the arrangement. And most important, remember it's not a blues gig but a song to help folks enter into worship. Pray and play in that spirit.
I've done a lot of church music in the P&W band with pianist Dick Tunney as band leader. He is one of the best, has a Grammy and several Dove awards under his belt but for about 4 years we had no lead guitar making Dick and me the lead instruments and even with all his accomplishments he always lets me choose what songs I feel the harmonica fits and he is always very generous in allowing space for me to play. All that said to convey to you: don't hesitate to make suggestions about the arrangement. No room for pride or ego in church!Regards,Buck