Re: [Harp-L] tilting the harp

Robert Hale wrote:
<Probably because the right wrist doesn't have the range of motion to open
<the cup when starting from level. Some tilt the head LEFT.

It's not a good idea to tilt the head left or right.  Tilting the head changes the shape of the column of air that's coming from the gut; it makes the tone thinner, as a rule.  If done for more than a few instants, it will also create fatigue, and possibly discomfort, neither of which help anyone play better.  I saw a guy checking out an amp in an instrument store once actually do a two-hole shake with his head titled so far that the side of it laid on his shoulder.  It looked painful, and I doubt anyone could stand to maintain a shake in that position for more than a moment or two.

It's pretty simple in concept, though like anything else it takes practice to make it habitual and effortless.  Breathe from the gut.  Keep the column of air deep and open.  It's the same column of air whether you're playing inhale or exhale notes, and it shouldn't be possible for a listener to detect any difference in the basic sound of one or the other (as opposed to the difference that can be created with various expressive moves like bends).

And yes, I tilt the back of the harp up too.  I haven't been conscious of it for many years--it's simply the way I play--but I was very conscious of the difference it made in my tone for the first few years I played, for all the reasons cited so far in this thread.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick