[Harp-L] tilting the harp

The approach here depends on the music you play, and how your mouth works.

Very early on I found that I couldn't tongue block, because too much dribble ended up in the harmonica. Still the case, although I use tongue block octaves a lot. So, like Brendan, I'm a puckerer.

A lot of my music is fast. For example http://www.harmonicaacademy.com/categories/20080714

At these speeds, having the harmonica tilted upwards, with much of the upper lip over the cover plate wouldn't work so well, in my view. I'm happy to be shown wrong however.

I've seen Dave Barrett's explanation, where he proposes an upward tilt. I can't imagine too many who wouldn't want to sound like him.

I do tilt the harmonica, about 45 degrees, but horizontally. This means that my lips have less distance to travel than they would if the harmonica was flat, which helps with the fast tunes. Again, a personal preference, based on the music I like to play. I don't necessarily suggest that others follow this path.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays