Re: [Harp-L] Chord changes

The problem with chord changes is there are several. And they're all slightly different.
They come in 12-bar blues. And 8-bar blues. 16-bar blues anyone?

And knowing what to expect the  next chord to be (as the progression or song goes along) requires being familiar with the form.

If you're expecting every chord in the first four bars to be the I (tonic), you're in for a surprise when the second bar turns out to be a IV chord. There are at least two ways to become aware of this. 1: someone can TELL you QUICK IV. Or you can recognize the IV from the many hundreds of times you have played that progression.

If you're new at chord progressions; you can probably tell when the chord changes. But you might not be able to tell WHAT chord it is. This comes with repetition and that dread word PRACTICE.

The easiest way is to study guitar changes (if you play in a guitar band) or keyboard changes so you get used to what they sound like. 7th chords sound different than triads without 7ths or minor chords or minor 7ths.

It's something you can read about once and understand. You have to hear it.

That's why studying some blues guitar or blues piano will give you a quick understanding about how chords work. Keyboard is best because it lays out exactly like music theory. Guitar also lets you SEE the chords. So you can see and hear the notes to the chords.

Just to give you an idea of what you are up against, consider the following:

While arguably the most common 12-bar blues progression (aka chord changes) is
I I I I
IV IV I I
V IV I I (V)

or using 7th chords:
I7 I7 I7 I7
IV7 IV7 I7 I7
V7 IV7 I7 I7

There is also quick 4 (IV) in bar 2:
I IV I I
IV IV I I
V IV I I

There is also 8 bar blues:
I V7 IV7 UV7
I V7 I V7
or

I I I I
IV IV V I

or
I7 V7 IV7 IV7
IV IV V V

and on and on ....

Most people never study this stuff. They just go out and play for 20 years and before they know, they have a thorough understanding.

You can get an inexpensive guitar or keyboard and take a few weeks of lessons to learn chords.

Or you can buy a book or watch youtubes. It all depends on how you learn best.

If you take personal lessons, it may cost you more but you can ask the teacher what you don't understand.

If you rely on a book or youtube, you'll just have to keep watching or reading until it all makes sense -- and hope that you've haven't misunderstood.

Hope this helps.
Phil