[Harp-L] Valve Tips

Like every other would be chromatic player I have had problems with valves.
I didn't realise that valves comprised two layers - one of which functions
as a spring until this was pointed out by Rick Epping at a Harmonica
workshop.

Bang went my dream of cutting out my own valves from the lids of yoghurt
tubs, which up to then had looked to me like a suitable and viable material.

Music Cal's suggestion about using coffee filter paper as a valve cleaning
material appeals to me. I shall definitely give this a try.

Previous valve therapy I have tried - with limited success - was blowing  a
small amount of methylated spirits through the instrument from the business
end.

I have also tried placing a vacuum cleaner hose near the back of the
harmonica after a playing session to draw room air through it instead of
moist beery breath and thus dry out the valves. This seemed to sort of half
work, but I don't expect to be patenting the idea anytime soon.

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana