Re: [Harp-L] 2 questions...

On Oct 4, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Brian Stear <brianstear@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Had a loose reed that wouldnt stay in place the other day. Put the plate on a flat surface, and gave the rivet a couple of taps with hard plastic hammer. Seems to be okay, though it’s a spare, and doesn’t get played.
> Is there anything else you'd recommend?

Whatever works is OK.  However, next time I would put the head of the rivet down against a hard (metal if possible) surface and tap lightly in the center of the rivet with a pointed punch.  The object is to make the rivet a bit fatter without moving it to the side. Make sure the punch and the hammer stroke are aligned with the axis of the rivet.

An easy alternative is a tiny drop of super-glue on the reed base on the side away from the reed.  A few grains of bicarbonate of soda will set the glue instantly.

Vern