[Harp-L] discussion of Toots, Clint Hoover

   I don't know that I agree with Giddins' view that nobody has showed up
to take the place of Toots.  That "after six decades, he's still the only
game in town among the great jazz harmonica players."  As a SPAH member and
long time jazz fan; I've seen at least a dozen or so major chromatic
players pop up over the last several decades who are superb jazz players.
And we all know the names; I just don't think Mr. Giddins is wired into the
harmonica scene beyond Toots or Larry Adler.  Or maybe beyond New York
City.
   But I do think Giddins does a nice job describing the history of Toots
and the things that make his harmonica work special and unique.  Any time
we get a major jazz writer talking about the harmonica, it's a good thing.
   As far as Clint Hoover goes, he would certainly be on the list of names
I referred to earlier.  I told Mr. Hoover at the Minneapolis convention
that I thought his playing was possibly the most enjoyable jazz chromatic I
had heard at a SPAH since '91.  I thought what set it apart was that we
were able to actually hear a jazz player with his own working group,
playing his club set list.  Instead of a briefly rehearsed pick-up group
playing standards.  I hope we have Clint back at SPAH, sooner than later.

Mick Zaklan