From: "Vern" <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: diachrome@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:00:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Life of narrow reeds.

Theoretically, the stresses in a reed are not a function of width. Thus the stresses in a narrow reed should be no more than those in a wider one.

Do the following mental experiment:

Imagine two identical side-by-side reeds vibrating at the same frequency, phase, and amplitude. Viewed from the side, they would appear to be one reed. Then join them into one reed of twice the width. There are no forces between the halves either before or after they are joined. This is why you can trim a reed to a narrower width without major changes in pitch.

Has Hohner changed the design of the reeds in other ways beside just making them narrower? If this is the source of the problem, then your trimmed reeds should live as long as the older wide reeds.

It is possible that some secondary effect accounts for the observed shorter life of narrower reeds. However, it is not predicted by the formulas for bending stress. The expression for metal stress in a reed does not include a width variable.

I can speculate about why they made the change. They thought that the smaller orifice for air flow would make it easier to form a resonant embouchure and make the high notes easier to play. Maybe Rick would know.

Whatever the reasons, they created a major problem for reed-replacing technicians.

Vern