RE: [Harp-L] Seydel Repair Options

I'm up to me neck with this, that and the other at the moment but I just want to thank the wonderful, unseen people who have replied to me offlist about my Session Steel issue, all with really useful hints and tips. Much appreciated. Not to speak of the useful responses that we can all read on-list. My harmonica life is a never-ending learning curve and I take on advice like a sponge soaking up water.
Having said that, I must say that this reed-polishing malarkey is a totally new notion with me. Now not for one second would I deny that polishing reeds might be beneficial in ways I'll never understand to the playing of the harp.  After all, I've discovered the benefits of other tweaks such as minimising the reed/slot clearance. But polishing *leading to longer life*? Sorry, chaps, but I want some science here. Polishing makes reeds thinner and makes them require invasive retuning to a degree that would not be necessary with unpolished reeds. You buy a stock harmonica, you polish the reeds (invasive) meaning you have to do more tuning than would otherwise be the case - on thinned reeds (invasive). And you're telling me that this makes reeds last longer. Well I don't believe you. I want statistics, please, with big sample numbers, not just subjective impressions, because what you appear to be telling me makes no sense.
Incidentally, on the infrequent occasions I have a reed go south on me, I invariably find that it's failed about a third the way up from the rivet. Any tuning I do to lower pitch is done nearer the rivet than that. My feeling is that fine-tuning a reed, unless done incredibly clumsily, will not usually be the cause of early failure. No science there, just a hunch based on experience!