Re: [Harp-L] RE: What would Charlie Musselwhite do?

Steven,
I disagree with you.  4th position is not playing straight harp in a minor
key.  First, as Winslow points out, if you were playing straight harp on a
C harp, the band would be in C minor.  Although it is possible to play in C
minor on a C harp, it is difficult and it is not what is happening in
fourth position at all.

As Winslow explained, 4th position on a C harp is the key of A.  A very
common scale for A minor is A B C D E F G A.  It is not the only way to
play in A minor, but it is common.  Since every one of these notes is a
white note on the keyboard, it is easy to play on a C harp, because all of
the notes built into a C harp are white notes on the keyboard.  The band is
in A minor, pick up a C harp and sound great in fourth position.

I believe this is what you meant and were articulating incorrectly.

However, where I want to disagree with you is that 4th is much more complex
than simply playing in minor.  You can play any scale and any type of music
in fourth.  What makes it fourth is that it is the harp key's  name plus 3
notes clockwise on the circle of fifths.  The harp key is first position,
or one.  One plus 3 is 4.  Fourth position. As long as the band is in the
key of A and you have a C harp, you are in 4th position.  It can be major,
minor, blues, anything!
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com