Re: Re: [Harp-L] inspiration

By a coincidence, I wrote a recent post on Facebook about seeing Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee. The Tulagi was a famous music venue on "The Hill" in Boulder, Colorado. I saw a number of blues and folk acts there in the mid-'70s. Since it is right on topic, I'll share my experience here, too. I bet lots of harpers of my generation had the same life-altering experience seeing Sonny play his harmonicas.

The act I remember most seeing at The Tulagi was Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee. Changed my life!

At the time The Tulagi was a stripped down venue. A large, narrow, rectangular room with the entrance at the front and a stark stage at the rear. Seated probably 250. Not nearly the great little venue that Denver's Ebbett's Field was (previous post). That night the seats were only half full. Since there was no "green room," the artists entered through the same front door, looking at the audience's backs who were facing the stage.

As the audience waited, a strumming of a guitar came from the rear, with a soft harmonica sounding in the background. Brownie's voice rang out, "Walk on, Walk on...," and Sonny's vocal harmony followed. Brownie lead strumming his guitar, hobbled by one leg that was several inches shorter than the other. Sonny followed with one hand on Brownie's shoulder and his harp in the other. By the time they reached the stage the audience was rapt. What ensued was an hour and half of the most beautiful music I'd ever heard.

I'd lived through The Beatles, the British invasion, and the beginnings of Rock and Roll. I loved them all. I even loved the big band music of my parent's day. (I played the Tuba in the orchestra and Jazz bands in high school.) But nothing, NOTHING had ever grabbed me right in the gut like Sonny and Brownie did that night. I became a life-long lover and student of Blues music. I wish I had taken up the harmonica way back then. I was a harmonica "owner," with a Hohner "Blues Harp" languishing in my dresser drawer, but I was stymied by the little instruction sheet that came with it.

Fortunately, I did take on the monumental challenge of playing the "short" harp well when I scuttled my engineering career, moved back to the mountains and "blew up my TV" back in 2000. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately depending on how one looks at it) the climb is a steep one. But it has allowed me to dive deeper into that Blues River. I am now a Blues River diving duck! :-)

Michelle