Re: [Harp-L] Tremolo harmonicas

Since we are splitting hairs (or semitones), here is the formula for Cents.

Where:  fo is a base frequency
              f  is a different frequency
              C  is the change in cents
              1200 is the number of cents in an octave
Then:

C = 1200 / log(2) * [log(f) - log(fo)]

Note that when f < fo, C is negative.

and

f = fo * 2^(C/1200)

This is derived from the definition of a semitone where (in equal temperament) the frequency ratio of adjacent semitones is the twelfth root of two.

f = fo * 2^(1/12)

To be fair…Small values of C approximate the % of the frequency difference of a semitone.  Although C(f) isn't linear, a short distance along the curve approximates a straight line.

Vern