Re: [Harp-L] Tremolo harmonicas

To play in Em, use a concert-tuned (not Richter) G harp.  This gives you the natural minor scale.  If the song uses the melodic or harmonic minor, There will be chromatic notes.

IF the song is chromatic, then things get more complicated.

The Suzuki tremolo chromatic harmonica has a button, plays like any chromatic, and costs $1500.  This would be the easiest way to play your song but also the most expensive.

You can use a pair of tremolo harps, C and C# held in the hands one above the other and played like a bass harmonica... switching back and forth for the "white-key" and "black-key" notes.  This is much less costly than the Suzuki monster, but requires a a different playing technique.  I believe that you can find pairs of tremolos offered for sale for this purpose.

Some amps have a tremolo effect.  There may be stomp-boxes having tremolo.  Bare electronic tremolo gives the pulsations but not the "singing" sound of two reeds. You could experiment with reverb and chorusing effects for the "singing" sound.

IF you are good, you can produce a "ha-ha-ha-ha"  tremolo with your throat and diaphragm. Then you could add reverb and chorusing to taste.

Tremolo harps have two reeds for every note and require more breath to play.  The two reeds are tuned to slightly different frequencies.  This produces beats that pulse at a rate equal to the difference in frequencies.   Tuning is very critical.  If the pulse rate is too low, it won't be heard as tremolo.  IF the pulse rate is too high, it is irritating.  A pleasing rate is in the neighborhood of 3-4 per second.

Vern