[Harp-L] Re: Fender Excelsior

A microphone client showed up with an  Excelsior a few weeks back.  I had
hoped it would be a winner,  but regardless of control settings or the
various mic's  we utilized I thought is was crunchy to the point of  being
obnoxious, and that it lacked any of the subtle overtones  which typically
characterize a 'good' harp amp.  Probably works  just fine for some styles of
guitar, but the best harp  friendly mod is probably to chuck it under a bus.

I think it would cost more to make it even half right than  buying a better
sounding amp to begin with.  That said,  there will always be more than one
person who likes the sound and  who will get a pleasant result, just that
it  certainly wasn't my cup of tea.  I know that it's  inexpensive, and it
might get louder than some other budget minded offerings,  but my opinion is
that you'd be better of with a the 6 watt VHT, an  Epiphone Valve Jr, or for
a bit more dough one of the older  Kalamazoo's which Greg Heumann so nicely
refurbishes.

Perhaps once it's been around for longer and several qualified  amp tech's
have taken a stab at it then a modification roadmap will begin  to emerge.
If someone eventually manages to wring better tone  from one I'd love to
hear some properly recorded before and  after clips.

Christopher Richards
Twin Tone Microphones
Harmonicaplanet  .com