Re: [Harp-L] chrome: Don't get around much anymore

HI Robert -

I'm not familiar with this player, but as to your other question, there are diverse opinions on that subject amongst chromatic players. However, most (but certainly not all) of the jazz-oriented players will just play everything on a C chrom (and I'm in that camp), and if it's a standard being played instrumentally will just play it in the standard key for the tune. If there's a vocalist involved, then usually it will be in the vocalist's key.

Most jazz-oriented chrom players will tell you that they find the flat keys (along with the key of C) more fluid on a C chrom than the sharp keys (and I agree). This is largely due to the alternate F and C "fingerings" available (most sharp keys don't have very many F or C naturals in their melodies).

Having said that, I personally do play in the sharp keys as well. Depending on the style of the tune, it can be more difficult to sound fluid in these keys. But each key has its own rewards, giving you different possibilities -- things that are easy in one key may be difficult in another. The chrom is really no different in this regard than a woodwind or keyboard, except that some would argue the chrom is a bit more difficult overall to get around on.

The other side of the coin is if you're not in charge of the content or key (like for instance if you're doing a session for someone else), and you have to match the phrasing of another instrument, then (depending on your chops vs. the difficulty of the part) you might want to have some chroms in other keys to switch to. Some phrases can be a real bitch and switching to another key'd chrom can be a life saver in those cases.

- Slim.

http://www.slidemanslim.com