From: "diachrome@xxxxxxxxxxx" <diachrome@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, 18 May 2013, 13:17
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 117, Issue 20

Richard, I own and use a Digitech along with owning a Roland Cube, a pa, a horde of analog and digital stomp boxes and 2 tweed amps.

I use the Digitech sometimes with my amps when we play small clubs and there is no room for my pedal board.
I've even used the Digitech direct into the pa a few times. I programmed 6 amp patches and set up several presets when I only wanted reverb, vibrato, etc.

I'm not saying it's a bad sound. I'm just saying I can hear the difference between a tube amp and solid state amp or digital amp modeler. Your mileage may vary.

What I'm hearing on Cotton's recording sounds like he is going directly into the mixer with a digital processor somewhere in the signal path. The amplified harp does not sound like a miked tube amp to my ears. Since Cotton seems to play harp directly into a pa at gigs it would make sense he didn't use a tube amp on the recording session. I have recordings of other harp players that sound like there is a digital processor in the mix as well. It's a very distinct sound.

mike
www.harmonicarepair.com