Re: [Harp-L] diatonic repair

On May 17, 2013, at 10:55 AM, johnny <toh3rd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sure this has been covered before but I have a couple of the Crossover Marine band harps that are not very old. A- C and a D, I have an extremely flat draw note on each harp and a stuck high blow. Although I have been playing for 40 yrs. I have not learned how to work on harps. In the past I'd just buy a new one. Harps have gotten so expensive that I can't really afford to do that any more! I'd love to hear how to repair these harps if it is even possible.   John

The flat reeds could be simply out of tune.  If that is the unlikely case, a simple tuning up could fix them.  It is more likely that the reeds have fatigued and need to be replaced. If so, the cost might approach that of a new harp.  In either case, the repair will require the diagnosis, advice, and services of a professional.

You might be able to fix the stuck blow reed yourself.  The most likely problem is an obstruction….hair, dried saliva, dust particle, fried chicken, etc.  The remedy is to pass a thin strip of metal through the gap between the reed and the slot.  A strip from the inside of a theft-prevention tag would work.   OR…the stuck reed might be misaligned over the slot.  Straightening it would require a "reed wrench."   They are included in all manufacturer's tool kits.

Vern