Re: [Harp-L] When Did Fast Become Good?

If you are someone who plays fast, trying keeping up with some skilled and
respectable guitar players.  I am a huge Derek Trucks fans and a lot of
what we consider, "fast", is casual on guitar.  Derek Trucks is NOT known
for being a fast or notey player, but if you try to even keep up with some
of his blues playing, there are a lot of runs that would be hard to keep
timing with on harmonica.

Three other thoughts:

1.  People don't articulate what they mean well all the time.  I *think*
what is being suggested here is that people dislike players who play fast
for long stretches without dynamics...meaning there is the issue of too
many notes.  In fact, that might be the core issue and not the actual speed
as the harmonica is NOT speedy relative to other instruments.

2.  Context is also very important.  First of all, we have all heard
endless and endless traditional blues harmonica playing.  Any variance of
that is something that is going to grab our attention whether it be good or
bad.  Same with the masses.  I bet we have all at some point introduced
ourselves as playing harmonica to others with a caveat..."I play harmonica,
but not like what you're thinking", is what I say about 99% of the time.
 People either associate harp with blues playing of Bob Dylan playing.
 ANYTHING other than that will sound impressive.  Other examples are
walking around on a wireless, playing a train, playing with no hands, etc.

When watching a live band, they should be creating moments for people.
 Playing fast on a tune or something can be that moment.  When 80%+ of what
American audiences have heard of harmonica essentially takes place over the
same two chords and 5 holes of the harmonica, people get numb to it.

3.  Not everyone plays blues.  Of course, most Western harp players assume
that, but I am willing to bet from day one, even in the States, the bulk of
harmonica being played is NOT blues.  Play Oh Susanna on the harp.  Played
at the right tempo, that is not a slow or moderate song.

I am not telling people what to like and not like.  I am only suggesting
that making a blanket statement about playing fast is just that.  Some
people may dislike it because of the patterns or note choices, whatever.
 But fast is just as musical as anything else.

Starting out I wanted to play like John Popper.  Then I heard Jason Ricci
and wanted to play like that.  Then I heard Chris Michalek and wanted to
play like that.  I spent several years making myself NOT play fast (by fast
I mean fast...I am not discussing my use of space or how long I jam, etc.).
 During that stage, I didn't play super fast, but I still used tons of
embellishments.  Truth is, I play rock music 3/4 of the time and it makes
me happy to play really fast and notey sometimes (I tend to leave space and
not jam for too long nowadays).  I stopped fighting it and in the last year
my playing has gotten a ton better.  I am a happy person that likes playing
the high end of the harp fast sometimes.  It sounds joyous and makes me
feel good.  I just play what makes me happy, lol.  Truth be told, I find
myself jamming to other instruments, though, and realizing the harp is just
not a "fast" instrument and what we consider "notey" and "fast" is less
fast and notey than horns, keys, and guitar.

Finally, I have never enjoyed head cutting.  Trading licks is great, but
I've seen clips of high profile players just going after each other.  While
I can respect that and understand that I am probably in the minority - the
musicians and audience love it - it just doesn't move me.  The reason for
this is that it often results in players NOT playing things very musically.
 That doesn't mean it is bad, I just don't go looking to hear that stuff.
Tying it all together, http://youtu.be/56SHlnUrhuM?t=3m34s.  You can go
back and listen to Warren and Taj takes solos, but Derek's solo has
dynamics, is sorta notey, very melodic, and fits the groove.  Playing that
on harp would have you compared to guys like Popper and Ricci for the sheer
notes and speed.

Mike