Subject: [Harp-L] Neck Injury

There could be a bit of a connection in the way you hold the harp--i.e. if
you grip very hard unconsciously while playing/holding your head and neck
in a  stiff, unnatural position. The only way to really tell is to take your
instrument to your Doctor's office and have him/her evaluate you while you
play.

I have long since had severe cervical disk problems (not caused by playing
but aggravated by) so am precluded from playing 'properly' - another reason
I'm  quite content remaining an amateur after returning to harmonica
playing as a  grown adult and also have a severe TMJ dysfunction problem --the
re-onset of  which my doctor has attributed to my renewed chromatic playing. So
have to pace  myself since I won't give up my music.

Do you play harp-in-a-rack? Not so good for bad necks. Most cervical  disk
problems are unrelated, but what we do aggravates the underlying
degenerative disk problems--even working at the computer. You can liken it to
sciatica, impingement of the nerves leading down to the toes: those in the neck
lead to the fingers. There ARE newer alternatives to harp racks than  jutting
one's head forward, but using a brace of some kind or adjusting your  stance
and grip --having continuous PT or massage will probably help. Playing
while looking into a mirror will show you when you're tense and falling back
into old habits. I know I tense up in front of an audience, so my neck always
 hurts afterwards, which segues into yet another Migraine. Sigh. Getting
older  can stink. ;)

Hope this helps a wee bit. You're certainly not alone.:)

Best, Elizabeth
PS: If you've just been through or about to have an EMG to get these
results I truly feel for you. Been there, done that several times. NOT  fun!

"Message: 10