Re: [Harp-L] Don Les and cross harp

I think it's partly generational (ie pre rock'n'roll) and would rather say
'cultural', rather than 'ethnic'.
Speaking of 'the old days' (say pre WWII) an Anglo from, let's say,
Virginia, might very likely dig  the filth of 'blues harp', because of
cultural experience, (the first 'blues harp player was Henry Whitter, a
white, from Virginia, I think)
whereas some college educated dood from Chicago probably wouldn't have.
(Eddie Lang - OK- of Italian background, but middle class - played same
great lowdown blues with Lonnie Johnson, though it was
a bit more polished than something out of the Mississippi Delta)
There was a 'blindfold' test, in Downbeat, back in the 'fifties, where they
play Larry Adler some Little Walter.
Wow! Talk about the scene for a clash of cultures! Well, Adler is at first
somewhat derisive, pointing out that Walter isn't playing chromatically,
and that he'd 'heard this kind of thing
before' but 'Preferred it when Sonny Terry did it'. Note: unamplified, most
notably.
Now that reminds me of Malcolm X saying that he admired Sidney Poitier for
not 'conking' his hair (like, say Muddy Waters ir the big 'Process')
but if Sidney had conked his hair, he wouldn't have made it in the movie
business back then, 'cause the white audience are going to want to
see a 'kneegrow' (as Malcolm would have put it) as a folk-heroic
share-croppin' field hand, not an uppity ghetto cruising cat. Kind of
ironic.
However, Adler then goes on to say that if Walter was playing
chromatically, he could possibly be the greatest harmonica player of all
time.
Good on ya Larry!
Anyhow, good stuff, Mick, Joe, et al. More discussion on Don please, not
Less (sorry, the pun problem is genetic)
RD

--
Rick Dempster
EÃâÅResources/Serials