[Harp-L] Re: Lone Wolf Harp break pedal and Sonny Jnr Super Cruncher

Hello everyone,

After reading Richard Hunter's description of the Harp Break I feel compelled to respond. Richard writes the following.

"Final comment: I presume we know that there's a difference between a Lone Wolf harp Break and a Digitech RP. The Lone Wolf (and other single purpose amp modelers like the Tech 21 Blonde, the Boss Fender Bassman FBM-1 pedal, and so on) emulates the sound of an amp; the RP emulates the sounds of a number of amps, plus pitch FX, modulation FX, delay, reverb, etc. In other words, the LW is an amp modeler; the RP is an amp modeler plus multi-FX. The key advantage of the former is simplicity in operation (because it does one thing); the key advantage of the latter is the variety of sound and FX (because it does many things). (I do what I can with my patch sets to make the RPs easy to operate.) We're all lucky to have these kinds of choices. People talk a lot about vintage gear, but I can tell you for sure that the stuff we get now is better in EVERY, repeat EVERY way--better sounding, more durable, MUCH less expensive--than the gear we struggled with in the 60s and 70s."

I respect Richard but due to his limited knowledge of and experience with my products he is not accurately describing the Harp Break. The Harp Break is not an amp modeler and it has more than one function.

1. The Harp Break provides a broad range of distortion that is adjustable from clean to heavy crunch.
2. The Harp Break has a bass boost that is tuned to include the lower midrange frequencies and adjustable in gain.
3. The Harp Break has a volume control.
4. The Harp Break has a true bypass switch.

All of this is easily adjustable throughout a set allowing a player to tailor his tone and distortion to the song and the key of harp he is using. The tuning of the bass boost is the key to it's function. It is tuned to the band where most lower frequencies exist in harmonica, fattening and balancing the tone plus matching the acoustics of the venue. None of my products are designed to emulate a particular amp but to give harp players the flexibility to enhance the tone of the harp and their gear, to add different types of distortion when and to the level desired.

It is true that more guitar players are using digital pedals including amp modelers but they are not limiting themselves to one product.

Thanks for reading,

Randy Landry
Lone Wolf Blues Company