[Harp-L] Sazony and the Seydel Harp Configurator

MusiCal notes:

> According to the HarpConfigurator I can not get a whole tone tuned Saxony
> Chromatic no matter which note I choose for the lowest.

> Seydel, is this really the case or do you need to update your
> HarpConfigurator?

My understanding of the Seydel Harp Configurator is that it provides the
customer with the means to configure various pitches within the range of
available stock reeds. Each slot in a specific reedplate model has a defined
length and width. There MAY be more than one reed pitch available for that
length and width. If so, the Configurator gives that as an available pitch.
The Configurator gives all of the available possibilities, using stock reeds.

You cannot specify reed pitches which are not available as stock pitches. If
the range of pitches (in your case, a whole tone tuned Saxony) falls outside
the stock range, the Configurator will leave the reed pitches that cannot be
met with stock reeds unspecified.

If this is the case, you have a couple of options. Specify the pitch closest
to the desired pitch, and then retune those reeds when you get it. Another
alternative is to contact Seydel's Betram Becher and see if they will customize
a Saxony with your desired tuning. (It WILL cost you extra, because a Seydel
technician will have to retune the non-stock reeds.) Betram helped me a lot when
I configured a Spiral (Circular) Tuned Seydel Deluxe, beginning on G3.

And a final alternative: buy a Saxony and have someone like Gary Lehmann retune
it for you. Gary is a very skillful technician with Suzuki, but he also works on
other manufacturers harmonicas, particularly in making special tunings. He's the
one I would trust to make a whole tone tuning as desired.

The Harp Configurator is a great step forward for allowing the customer a set of
configuration choices within the available stock reed pitch ranges. It is not
intended to offer any and every imaginable tuning configuration.

Good luck!
Crazy Bob