[Harp-L] Re: Re: Hohner thunderbird

Thankfully for us, online shopping makes it possible to access these niche instruments. They would never be stocked in any music store I know.

There have been many innovations over the last decade, collective thanks to all the harmonica manufacturers for bringing them to us.

The Thunderbird deserves special mention. From what I understand, Joe Filisko, the leading harmonica technician of our generation, was instrumental (ahem) in the design.

The result? I have a low G Thunderbird, and it is an outstanding instrument. The low note rattle, a long time bane of instruments from Low F downwards, is gone. It looks and feels like a Hohner Crossover, with these astounding low notes. Bending them is another matter, requiring skills I don't possess.

Nonetheless, the instrument opens new doors. One for me is 3rd position, where the high notes, usually squeaky and hard to manage, are in a nice comfortable low register. Throw in the incredible octaves with the low notes, and you have a whole new palette at hand. Mighty through a PA.

In short, innovations like the Thunderbird are to be celebrated. We're lucky to have them, past players did not.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays