[Harp-L] carry on bags, airports security, and harp gear question

David Brown wrote:
<When flying for business I usually bring 7 harps in a vinyl "wallet" in my
<carry-on backpack and I have never had a problem with TSA or other airport
<security. However, for an upcoming trip I am considering taking (2) small
<pedals ( a Kinder AFB and a Harp Attack pedal), a couple of AC power cords,
<some 9 volt batteries, (2) guitar cables, a short extension cord, and a mic
<in my carry on bag as well.
<
<Has anyone else done this and had (or not had) any problems? I would hate
<to have my gear confiscated.

I travel frequently--about 40-50 flights a year--and I almost always pack a case with 14-16 diatonic harps, plus a chromatic or two. Often I carry a Digitech RP pedal and an Audix Fireball mic too, along with an XLR cable and a 1/4" cable. I even have a double-ended screwdriver toolin the harp case. Most of the time, that gear is carryon; I try not to check bags when I can avoid it.

I've never had a serious problem with airport security.  On numerous occasions TSA has detected the gear on an X-ray scanner, inspected it, tested it for explosive residue, and passed it through.  I can't imagine that TSA would confiscate musical gear simply because it looked to be of concern on an X-ray scanner (which it does, of course).

If you're very worried about it, you can always take the gear out of your carryon bag, put it in a tray, and let TSA eyeball it out in the open.  I've done that on some occasions.  But that's a courtesy to TSA, not a necessity.  Like I said, I can't imagine that TSA would confiscate the gear, unless you habitually store your pedals next to a pile of plastic explosives.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick