Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Broken CX-12 Comb

In a message dated 3/5/2013 9:41:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
slim@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

On Mar  4, 2013, at 8:56 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I think those  wee teeth are merely there for the reed plates to tuck
under
>  but the absence of which shouldn't make the chrom much airier since the
> screws  are what should still be holding on the reed  plates.

Those "wee teeth" are quite important, they keep the top  of the reed
assembly in proper alignment inside the shell. Without them, you  can indeed
loose air-tightness.

Thanks,

-  Slim.="

Hi Slim: Are we talking about the same 'teeth'? In my response to Ryan I
probably didn't make it clear enough that I was asking whether or not he  was
referring to the 4 'tabs' (or flanges as I called them earlier)  which fit
into the grooves inside the shell and which I know keep the body  aligned.

Are you saying those very tiny little 'teeth' (of which there are two
'sets') towards the high end of the MP but not at the bottom, hold the  reed
plates in alignment? That was my initial confusion--as to which of  these two
different types of 'tabs' were being discussed (I couldn't tell from  the
initial photos).

>From the only link I could find for replacement parts, the comb  comes of a
piece with the MP. Is it glued on after the fact do you  know, or molded
altogether with the MP?
And IF it is those tiny little teeth at the top of the MP and the MP  is
permanently attached to the comb, wouldn't it then work to 'weld' or run  a
bead of something to fill any gap created by their absence? I  can understand
why any piece broken off the MP could result in airiness but  still think
(if we're talking about the same thing) that filling the gap should  be a
relatively easy fix. From Grizz' experience with the ABS weld, it seems one
could also conceivably mold a facsimile of the teeth since they're so  small.

I'm still curious why the reed plate screws wouldn't hold the reed  plates
in sufficient-enough alignment by themselves? I've  always thought that was
their very purpose. Couldn't figure it out from my  own instruments but
hadn't been up to removing all the reed plate  screws last night just to see, so
would appreciate your input.

Much obliged!

Elizabeth