Re: [Harp-L] RE: Fair Trade Music

On Mar 3, 2013, at 1:50 AM, Steve Power wrote:

> When I sent the original post I had no idea I was asking for opinions or that this was a political forum. It never crossed my mind that putting forward an idea that might actually make things better in the world would cause some to get so upset that they felt the need to send direct to me their personal philosophies couched in no uncertain terms.

Don't understand why someone would be upset Steve. Your post was excellent, to the point, and sincere. And I thought the answers i 'saw' were honest and sincere too. Of course I didn't see the 'Off' list answers. I'm sorry if they were caustic.

> At first I thought to ignore them for what they are but unfortunately it somehow is in the nature of those who shout the loudest about freedom to demand that theirs be the sole definition of the word. But believing in the sentiment, "âBad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." - John Stuart Mill - here I go...
>
> If some of you don't like the idea of Fair Trade Music, that's fine. Ignore it. Move on. Don't participate. If you choose to post your opinions, despite not being asked for one and in a non-politicial forum at that, at least get some facts straight. For example:

I like the idea. Here in Fla. we have so many retired musicians, that this messes up the whole deal. These guys would play just for the fun of it. And it hurts the people trying to make a living at it.

(remainder was snipped, but it was all good skinny).

smo-joe