[Harp-L] 3 little known, old-school Chicago blues harpists

   I think I'm on record here as stating that the first really good
amplified harp player I ever saw live was Bill Lupkin, back around 1969 or
1970.  Bill had the enviable gig of playing and recording with one of the
world's greatest bluesmen, the late Jimmy Rogers. I'm tickled to see that
Mr. Lupkin is still doing his thing 40+ years later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJKVZjWRMac.
   It's also great to see Ron Sorin back in action after a decade long
lay-off:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrQCNbzyig.  Ron, in my opinion,
nullifies the argument that you can't sound good playing the blues unless
you tongue-block.  He's been a pucker player all his life and sounds just
fine here.
   Reaching back into the archives, the late slide guitarist and harpist
Chicago Slim was one of the earliest white guys to play in black Chicago
blues clubs.  You never hear about him because his temper and violent
behavior alienated a lot of people, including folks who could have helped
his career.  I used to catch him quite a bit in the old days, and his harp
style kind of reflects that personality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG2wjyM_V9I.  At various times; Slim
collected and sold clown paintings by serial killer John Wayne Gacy, went
to court because he dumped a gallon of paint over a paint salesman's head,
and once allegedly seized Bette Midler's manager by collar and dragged the
man out of his seat and across his desk while threatening him.  In the end,
there was no money to bury Slim and the body laid unclaimed for
quite awhile before someone finally stepped forward with the cash.

Mick Zaklan