Re: [Harp-L] RE: Cheap Harps

I sincerely want to thank Derwood, Gary M., Timothy K., N David C., Michael R., Mike W., Steve S., Dennis M. M., Maka, Tom H., Eliz.,
Eric M., Tiny S., Dan H., Martin O., and the several others whom have responded to this thread. I found it very enlightening.

I had originally posted that diatonics in the $2.50-5.63 range to be (basically junk. That was specifically for 'starting or newer players'. My
opinion was that 'The less mileage (read hours) one had on harp = the more harp was needed'. Then I said that harps in the $5.63-19.04
range were only good as utilitarian harps. This was also aimed at newer players.  And these players should consider starting at a harp in
the $28.56 range.

Small note. I myself only had about 7 diatonics at a time till I was 49. Then I started buying them 1 every 2 or 3 months. See a person whom
is 49 should be established SOMEwhere. Otherwise, if one can't afford it, they need to consider other alternatives. I understand that. I do.

These figures were only for the context of which we were speaking. And yes, the price doesn't necessarily indicate quality. I was using it
as a generality gage. So, it seems that most of us DID start out on lesser harps..but then progressed. And this is good. There are literally
hundreds of very fine players on this list. And if you take the total sum of hours played, you would get a huge figure. This indicates (to me
least) that harp is in good hands and will survive growing stronger and stronger.

There are people out there whom eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom..harp. Naturally their opinion will carry a lot of weight. At least to me.
But that doesn't mean there isn't some good skinny coming from across the rainbow range of players. And it is all being handled so
diplomatically. How refreshing.

I would now like to apologize to Warren B. I was trashing cheap harps a few weeks ago and was totally against giving them away to
youngsters. I hope he understands that this was only my 'small' opinion, and in the big enchilada of things..not that important. I love him like
a brother I never had. But he's so good hearted and I didn't want him to spend money on a project that may not be appreciated as he
deserves. He IS a true 'Harp Herald'.

So, over the past few years, I have been watching the Kinya Pollard videos. To say this man impresses me is an understatement. He walks
the walk, talks the talk (humbly), is good looking, neat as a pin, and his shop looks like a dust free lab. So, I was struck with the thought that
if 'I' were to play harps tuned by this magician, it would be a crime and I should be locked up. My violation? to wit: Attempts with intent to
waste a good harp.  lol

smo-joe