Subject: [Harp-L] SPAH Hotel Trouble

Hi Emile:

A couple of days ago when I was told by the Hotel that they had to charge
me full rate for 2 of the SPAH days since there were no more rooms, I knew
enough to contact the Convention Director via email--since Val Redler
Caltabellotta had run into the same problems with the GSHC Hotel during the New
Jersey Conventions. All it took was a phone call from her then(as President
of  GSHC) to request another block of rooms to be put on--something our
Hotel  was supposed to do automatically but which caused a lot of concern among
prospective attendees at the time. It was purely a logistical issue, as is
this  one.

My current problem with the Renaissance was handled likewise and with
alacrity. When I called back later in the day my room was now available for the
full stay at the SPAH price, and the Marriott people couldn't have been
nicer. But as Winslow's saying, this IS the time to book your room: for  some
reason most people wait to make their reservations till this  point in June
for August and since this year's is the Big 50th Anniversary,  I doubt
there'll be a spare room available if you wait too much longer.

There is always someone willing to share to cut costs, though: I remember
years when groups of 4 of the younger guys bunked together. They all had a
blast  based on their videos and stories afterwards. The website is now set
up for you  who need to do this - or send out emails to those of your
friends. If you can  also ride-share to St. Louis that would take care of the bulk
of your expenses:  the actual cost of the Convention is very affordable and
includes ALL of the  entertainment, seminars (with perhaps one exclusion)
and the Saturday Night  Banquet. Definitely worth every penny. I'm speaking
purely as a SPAH member who  thinks a SPAH Convention should be on every
harmonica player's 'must do' list,  even if you're travelling fairly frugally.

Looking forward to seeing both old and new friends there,

Elizabeth

"Message: 1