[Harp-L] saddest story, etc

   I know this probably wasn't intended, but I would hate for anyone
reading the original post to conclude that blues diatonic players with
Flash Gordon mics were undermining whatever minuscule respect the harmonica
apparently has in the world of music.  Or ruining the harmonica in general,
as the late Don Les insisted.  Because before the current caricature of the
drunken, burned-out diatonic "blooze" harpist making audiences and fellow
musicians uncomfortable by "gussing" and playing too loudly; the primary
image of the harmonica was that of a chromatic playing midget kicking
people in the shins.  For 40+ years, I might add.  As entertaining as I
found this fellow (Johnny Puleo), I don't know how much "respect" he got
the instrument using it as a prop for a clown act.  Or the bunch of
grown men dressed as newspaper boys from the Great Depression.  As for Mr.
Les, here's an example of his own work being mocked in a 1995 documentary
seen all over the country.  Go to 2:27, when guitar ace Jeff "Skunk" Baxter
appears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcyzeXzmQ60.
   Am I being unfair here?  Perhaps.  But Lord knows, chromatic players
having been dissing diatonic harpists for as long as I've been a SPAH
member.  Privately, to our faces, and in print.  Point is, we're all
harmonica players.  I doubt that the public or most other musicians see any
difference between chromatic, bass, chord players and
"racket-makers"----the term one SPAH conventioneer I spoke with used
for diatonic harpists.  We all take a hit for the bad players.  Until we
turn out large numbers of virtuosos, we're probably still going to catch
flak for playing something many consider a "toy".
   As far as the guy referred to in the original post, he didn't belong at
a jazz jam.  He was in over his head.  Been there myself.  It happens,
sometimes even to good players.  If I recall correctly, the genius
saxophonist Charlie Parker once exited a jam humiliated after the drummer
threw a cymbal at him during his solo.  If you read Larry Adler's
biography, you'll find that Larry lost his place IN FRONT OF A SYMPHONY
ORCHESTRA and had to improvise an entire passage in a symphonic score.  He
also laid an egg with George Solti and the Chicago Symphony and was never
invited back.  So even great players can mess up.
   Personally, I try to be an ambassador for our instrument.  If somebody
has a question, needs advice, or some encouragement---I attempt to provide
it.  I stay out of situations where I might embarrass myself or give
somebody an excuse to bumrap the instrument.

Mick Zaklan