Re: [Harp-L] Harp Haters

Greg,
Thanks for the kind words.  Remember, I still have to convince people to
hear me.

I recommend you stop caring about other musicians opinions and that of the
audience.  Stop worrying about sounding good.  I recommend playing music
because it is your nature to do so.

I believe the closer you are to these goals, coincidentally the better you
will sound and the more stage time you will get.

That said,  considering etiquette such as when to play and how to interact
with musicians on and off the band stand is an exciting challenge within
itself and I highly recommend approaching it with the same diligence as you
do practicing your instrument.

I would say these are some things I look for in people I enjoy playing with:

kindness
respect of self and others
equipped for the job
quick setup and tear down
Ability to shut up and listen when the song's instructions are being given
Ability to explain the musician's roles when leading a song
Attitude of helping everyone in the band shine
Understanding of volume
Attitude of having fun and not beating anyone up, including themselves,
over perceived mistakes

The following is secondary:
Feeling
timing
tone
phrasing
the ability to play appropriately, the ability to knock the solo out of the
park, the ability to be a mad scientist i.e. playing adventurous things
that might not yet be ready for performance and the wisdom to know when to
do what.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com