Re: [Harp-L] Why Musicians Hate Harp Players

I might as well give my 2 cents to this conversation. I've gotten the backhanded compliment by other muscians many times "you play the harmonica like a real instrument". Which is nice, The reason as others have stated, why bands are leary of harpist, is alot of them overplay, don't know how to comp or tend to play in a style totally unsuited to the music they are sitting in on. At a jam one night I watched a harp player who was pretty decent chicago style player sit in on a Thrill is gone. his tone from his amp was so oversturated it was awful and what he played didn't lend itself to the tune,
 Another thing I think happens especially with novice player,they listen to audience member. alot of the average listeners are not muscians, They like loud,upfront harp,don't undrstand the importance of the group sound. even have said to me "I didn't hear you" when I'm mostly doing a tune  with mostly short fills to shade the tune. I try to find someone in the audience who is a muscian to get the level right. The average audience member doesn't realize if you play the way they want all the time you begin to sound like a cheeck and chong parody.Thanks for you time.

________________________________
 From: David McCurry <david.mccurry@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Mike Wilbur <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "<harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Why Musicians Hate Harp Players

Like Richard, I challenge the notion that the harp is "only" an lead or
solo instrument. We have chords, albeit limited in number. With tongue
blocking, we can sustain a nice I, IV or V (and some limited versions of
ii, vi and VII chords) and with effect units can emulate rotary and chorus
sounds. The trick is playing with taste and, as needs often repeating in
this group, LISTEN! I learned to "comp" on a tune a long time ago, laying
back and hanging with chords or simple note phrases, playing "pedal tones"
with the rhythm section (bass, keyboard, guitar). Listen to early Lee Oskar
on the live WAR albums. He soloed, sure, but listen to his work with the
horn sections, blending in with the horns.

Dave McCurry

--
David S McCurry, EdD

DS McCurry Fine Arts Studio