[Harp-L] Single mic vocal + harp setup?

Richard,

One mic. No peddles….at first.

I think you should set your mic up to make your voice sound good and full, with a deep tone - maybe a touch lighter on the highs than normal, a touch more lows, (harmonica and voice through a PA can be irritating), and a touch of reverb or effects from the PA (talent enhancer).

Then use the opportunity to develop great mic technique for the voice and harmonica. Playing with an acoustic singer is such an authentic use of the harmonica, commenting on the lyrics, setting a mood, adding a solo, and using your breath, your pure tone to do it is powerful. Closer to the mic deepens the tone; cup the mic deepens it more and you get the opportunity to attack the note gently, with more subtlety and emote through it - whisper through the harmonica. Soon you will be able to rock out close to the mic without using all of your breath giving you tone, long whaling notes, short staccato notes, and sound options that are more dramatic than musical. You will discover more combinations and ideas then you ever imagined. Back away a touch and hand cupping (wah, wah, is the technical term) becomes a great technique. Back away more and hit the high note. Stand away from the mic totally for that big Magic Dick high note, then back to the mic for low notes and tone and now you have dynamics, dynamics within a single harmonica pass. It's so cool and possible with the single mic on a mic stand…

Listen to how you are mixing with the singer and the guitar and always adjust to where they are at. Most important, don't be irritating.

I'll use a second mic on occasion just for another sound alternative but, in my opinion, all you need to back up an acoustic singer songwriter is one good mic and your harmonica.

Enjoy,

Clay

-----------------
 Music, Visual Designs,
http://www.tostmusic.com
http://www.claygoldstein.com

Experience  Learning
http://www.teamsolutionsfla.com
http://www.teamsolutionsfla.com/images/exBroch-412-1.pdf
Florida International University: http://trac.fiu.edu/
Missouri:
The Leadership Ranch: http://www.leadershipranch.com

Contact me for other Experiential Learning and Ropes Course options around the USA.

Clayton Goldstein
(417)894-4434