[Harp-L] Spiral (Circular Tuned) Harps

Although Seydel's key naming convention seems slightly out of kilter for Spiral harps, at least it's consistent.Whatever note is in hole 1 blow is the label for the harp - period.
When I first started investigating Spiral using Seydel harps, I realized that the underlying key is based on hole 2 drawfor the corresponding major scale notes. Using that as the basis, it is then very easy to find the corresponding modes,because there are NO missing notes in the diatonic scale. I personally like the fact that the Seydel design starts on the 5th scale degree in hole 1 blow. There are many times that I can resolve from the V back to the I from below, in additionto resolving down from above.
In the diagram below, the numbers associated with BLOW and DRAW are the scale degrees of the underlying major scale.(If formatting is lost, try copying the diagram into MS Word or similar editing software, and use the Courier New font to align the information. Sorry, I have no control over the presentation font for Harp-L; not a complaint, just the facts.)
BLOW    5   7   2   4   6   1   3   5   7   2HOLE   01  02  03  04  05  06  07  08  09  10DRAW    6   1   3   5   7   2   4   6   1   3
if you consider hole 2 draw to be the root (tonic) note of a major scale, then the 7 modes are located as follows.
NOTE: "Positions" are referenced against the underlying major scale key, * NOT * to the labelled harp key!
Hole 2 draw (6 blow; 9 draw) = Root note for Ionian (major scale) mode - 1st positionHole 3 blow (6 draw; 10 blow) = Root note for Dorian (minor scale) mode - 3rd positionHole 3 draw (7 blow; 10 draw) = Root note for Phrygian (minor scale) mode - 5th positionHole 4 blow (7 draw) = Root note for Lydian (major scale) mode - 12th positionHole 4 draw (1 blow, 8 blow) = Root note for Mixolydian (major scale) mode - 2nd positionHole 5 blow (1 draw; 8 draw) = Root note for Aeolian (natural minor scale) mode - 4th positionHole 5 draw (2 blow; 9 blow) = Root note for Locrian (diminished scale) mode - 6th position
Chords are readily available, as are some of the missing chromatic (blues) notes. Note that the b3, b5, and b7 notesare available as halftone draw bends on holes 3-4-5, which are much easier to control than on the standard RichterTuning. If you want, you can half-valve to get the remaining chromatic notes, or you can overblow to get them.
As for playing examples and tutorials, you will not find any better than from Robert Hale, the Duke of Wail!
Regards,Crazy Bob