[Harp-L] Standard Diatonic v. Spiral

STANDARD DIATONIC
For playing the historical sounds of the American blues catalog.

SPIRAL
For everything else, and SOME of the blues. They are much more fun to get
around on [especially minor pentatonic] than minors in 3, 4, and 5th
position. [Take a free form improvisation on Van Morrison's Moondance! All
over the harp. No corners, log jams, or awkward spots]

I think Lee Oskar chose wisely to introduce alternate tunings of Melody
Maker and Natural Minor, because they are each only 3 notes variation from
diatonic. Players are willing to adopt those changes in exchange for the
benefits, while still building upon earlier habits and understanding.

For me, the Spiral captures all the benefit of those two tunings in one
harp. Each Spiral plays easily in 3 Major and 3 Minor keys. It's nearly
chromatic: 9 out of 12 tones. Not bad!

For these reasons, I keep two sets, because nothing is quite like the sound
of a diatonic in 2nd position. That's history. For everything else, Spiral
opens the door to experimentation. Another area I am exploring is Celtic
themes.

Maybe these six short videos will help you decide about playing Spiral.
http://www.youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL See the Spiral playlist.

Robert Hale
Spiral Advocate
Learn Harmonica by Webcam