[Harp-L] Virtual jams?

Has anyone had any luck with any online jamming tools?

I have been exploring the idea of using Google Hangouts as a virtual
jamming tool, especially since their new "studio mode" is supposed to
dedicate more bandwidth to the audio stream, giving better fidelity to the
sound. But I'm starting to think that it's less collaborative and more just
a way for a singer or band to broadcast to an audience.

I know there are several dedicated jam tools, many of them open source -
has anyone used them, and are there any recommendations?

Any observations would be welcome!

Sean