[Harp-L] RE: best outta the box harp to learn over blows is ?

FYI, Jason Ricci recommends the Suzuki Manji; or at least he did a year and a half back. And now that Hohner has jacked up its prices, it doesn't cost that much more than the Hohner Golden Melody I've been playing for years. I'm debating whether to go that way, (though I don't really know how to truly overblow, but I can do some Jimmy Reed style).

SLH

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 23:06:15 -0500
From: Michael Rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] best outta the box harp to learn over blows is ?
To: 46long Blake <46long@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Lee Oskars are notoriously bad for overblows.

Learn to gap, it will make it much easier.    Take a Special 20 and push
the blow reed and the draw reed close to the rivet, make the gap between
the reed and the plate smaller.  Get the blow and draw reed to have a
slight resistance, as if it doesn't want to play and you have to blow
harder.  Then back up ever so slightly to where there is no resistance.
Then try overblowing.

In my opinion, if you cannot play Jimmy Reed style high note blow bends in
a solo fluidly, you are trying to overblow too early.  Knowing your high
notes bends well will assist your overblow embouchure.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com

Message: 2