Re: [Harp-L] Re: Micing a Harp Amp into the PA

> In a message dated 6/5/2013 1:55:17 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
> harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Sennheiser e609 and e906. Great thing about these is that they're  flat, so
> you can drape them over your speaker and get far better pickup than you
> would draping a 57 or 58.    Hawkeye Kane
>
> I do agree that those mic's work very well, but it should be  understood
> that the above statement is true only when you  have the Shure SM57 or SM58
> draped in front of the speaker and therefore  pointed at the ground.  You
> see
> that done a lot, but it is  not a proper way to mic a speaker.  If the 57
> is
>  closely placed with a stand so it points straight at the  speaker cone
> then it will work just as well as the e609/e906.

Yes, the 57 is an EXTREMELY directional mic, meaning that it generally only hears what's directly in front of it.  If you drape a 57 over the front of an amp pointing downward, it will hear very little of what the amp is putting out.  And so will your audience.

It baffles me that sound techs who should know better will drape a 57 over the amp in this manner, but no matter who does it, it's just not right.

Thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick