Re: [Harp-L] Micing a Harp Amp into the PA

I may be an apostate on this but I actually prefer to use a line out in
most situations.  A good line out will sound as good as a mic in most
settings, and better in some settings.  A line out will included speaker
effects from the reactance in the signal.

A perfectly placed and adjusted mic in front of an amp is a wonderful
thing, but in real life it rarely happens, and when it does happen it gets
kicked on stage by some crazy musician.  Happens every time.

A good line out will sound exactly the same every time, regardless of
placement. And here is the biggest advantage:  It will lessen the potential
for feedback.  The mic in front of your amp is low and may be not too far
from the monitor floor wedges.  If your harp is in the monitor (and it
probably is since you are mic'ing your amp) feedback can be terrible
through the monitors.  With a line out that problem goes away.

-Rick Davis