[Harp-L] Re: SPAH award criteria

I find the continuing argument stupid.

I've been on the BOD for both jazz and blues societies in my area for many years. The reason for electing officers to the board is to
decide for us in general decisions within the society. It's not so we can micro manage from the sidelines.

Both boards I sat on had achievement awards given to either fans or musicians who helped foster and promote the music. The recipients included musicians, bar owners, and occasionally board members who exceeded the basic duties of a volunteer and promoted the growth of the ideals of the organizations.

Not one society member complained because they knew it was in the scope of the decision making of the board. Usually the committee that handled finding award recipients made the recommendation to the board and the vote was cast. Minor discussion, zero drama. The need to know who was bypassed was a non issue. I know in trade unions members want to be involved in every fricking vote but this isn't a trade union.

Officer elections should be transparent but the process of choosing award recipients without regard to popular vote should be left to the boards better judgement IMHO. I'm putting the next line in caps to drive home my point for secrecy. THE MOST DESERVING PEOPLE ARE THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW THEY ARE DESERVING AND AREN'T IN THE ACT OF CAMPAIGNING TO BE RECOGNIZED.

I think there are some in the harp community that would like to make it a campaign rather then a recognition in order to get their name on the ballot.

My SPAH membership has lapsed but not because I didn't like who is running things. It's a victim of the economy and part of the reason
I can't make SPAH this year even though I planned my vacation the same week.

mike
www.harmonicarepair.com