[Harp-L] Seydel Steel: My first 1847; a quick review

I've just received my first 1847 Classic (key of A) ordered from Rockin
Rons. I haven't purchased any harps for myself in a couple of years, and
thought I would give the 1847 a try. I usually play Hohner and Suzuki. My
only previous experience with Seydel is a Blues Session in Low F#.

After a little playing, I opened the 1847 up to tweak a little bit, and
immediately noticed this: NONE of the reeds were tuned at the base, but
only at the tip. I think that little detail will greatly add to the
longevity of the reeds.

Tolerances seem nice and tight... with just slight embossing i was getting
a little squeak from the reed hitting the reedplate, as if it didn't really
need embossed at all, which I suppose it didn't.

The gaps are little big, so it does not overblow easily; I'm getting some
torsional squeak on 6, and 4&5 just don't want to OB at all, as they are
just too breathy. I've tried adjusting them, but these stainless steel
reeds are stubborn little buggers; much like phosphor bronze they have a
memory, and go right back to their original arc and position.

I really like the shape of the covers, and how they are so open in the
back. I also like the feel of the wooden comb, which is rounded and
polished, and the sandwich style assembly does not rub my lips raw from
sharp angles on the exposed parts of the plates.

Overall, I'd say it's a very fine looking, sounding, and playing
instrument, though it is just a tad breathy, and I'll have to spend some
more time on it to get the overblows.