 From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:49 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: SPAH award nominations--who's nominated, and how is the winner chosen?

A little over two weeks ago, I sent the following message:

>About a month ago we were all reminded that the deadline for SPAH awards (June 30) was fast approaching.  Presumably the nominations are now all in, but I haven't seen any comments anywhere, including SPAH's website, regarding who was nominated for what.
>
>So who was nominated for what?  While we're on the topic, how are the winners chosen?  I don't see anything on SPAH's site that describes the process.

There's been input from SPAH since then on the second topic--how winners are chosen. The answer is essentially that the SPAH leadership votes, privately.  There's been no comment on the first question: who was nominated for what?

There's also been no reply to my follow-up question: what's the (good) reason for keeping nominations a secret?

Secret nominations and a secret vote: to me, the process sounds less transparent than a Nigerian election.  That's not a standard to which any elected body, such as SPAH leadership, should aspire.

So I'll repeat my original and followup requests for information: who was nominated for what, and failing an answer to that, what's the rationale for secret nominations?

Thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick