Re: [Harp-L] Kim Wilson

Kevin Hamilton <kham27@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is Kim Wilson an overblower. I can't really hear any if he doe's.

When I spoke to Kim in October 1999 at a gig in San Francisco, he was definitely not an overblower--in fact, he told me that he didn't much like the styles he was hearing that used the technique.

That was almost 15 years ago, and a lot can change in 15 years.  So I can't say what he thinks about it now.

I feel obliged to note that just about every pro uses overblowing at least occasionally now.  Whether or not you're a fan of fully chromatic playing on the diatonic harp, there are plenty of occasions when one or more of the notes you get via overblowing are pretty useful.

Thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick