Subject: [Harp-L] Symphonies & Harmonica

there is one piece by Gyorgy Kurtag, called, I believe ".. quasi una fantasia ...,” a piano feature, that uses five chromatic  harmonicas. Here's a link to a description of one performance of it. And I'll repeat the link below in case things work better that way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/arts/music/philharmonic-opens-season-at-avery-fisher-hall.html?_r=0

The only way I know about this is because I played it about eight years ago, with the Los Angeles Philharmonic..... really fun to do... if you read the description you'll see that parts of the orchestra were placed all around the venue ( in my case, Los Angeles' Disney Hall), and the 5 harmonica players were dressed as concert-goers and sat in audience seats. Lots of weird time signatures, I think I used four different keyed instruments, to play all the chords that were written.
The players for that gig were Tommy Morgan, me, Bill Barrett, Michael Burton, and Ron Kalina.

a fun time, to be sure.

I think there are not enough compositions that use multiple harmonicas to warrant keeping a harmonica section on the payroll of any orchestra, since most orchestras these days can't even afford a normal count of players.

jk

http://jonkip.com